It could be a great game if I could control the ship... o.o
📕 INSTRUCTIONS 📕
- Choose a ship.
- Play all 3 races of the moon tournament.
- After each race, you earn points for your finishing position and number of ships you destroyed.
- Accumulate the most points at the end of the tournament to win!
🎮 CONTROL 🎮
In Moonrace you have no control over direction. Focus on the velocity control and manage your weapons the best you can to win the race.
- Player 1: X or V to Fire; Z or C to Thrust
- Player 2: Q or A to Fire; SHIFT or TAB to Thrust
- You can play with up to 8 players. The game supports controllers.
- You can have 2 players on the same controller with the "double control" option in the pause menu (Left/Right on the controler become Fire/Thrust). Use the Fire button to cycle between ships on the selection screen.
📊 SHIP SPECS 📊
- ACCEL : How fast the ship reaches maximum speed
- STEER : How fast the ship turns
- BRAKE : When thrust is not used, time spent to stop moving
- CROSS : Ability to drive outside the range of the gravity track
- FIGHT : Cooldown between weapons
- ARMOR : Durability of your ship
🎯 WEAPONS 🎯
- MISSILE : shoot a single missile (5 damage in a zone)
- HOMING FLARE : Look for the race race leader and deal 3 dmg on impact
- MACHINEGUN : Fire 25 bullets dealing 1 damage each
- MINE : drop 3x mine ( 3 damage in a small zone )
- SHOCKWAVE : short-circuits ships and mines. Also reboot your system if you've been targeted by shockwave.
- NITRO BOOST : Huge acceleration for .5 second. Use with caution
- SHIELD : Protect you from any harms. Also damage your opponents
📜 CREDITS 📜
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
It looks appealing but playing it just made me want to go back and play Galaxy 5000 again. It's unsatisfying to control, even with practice. The steering doesn't "look ahead," so it never does the thing an actual driver would intuitively do, instead it massively oversteers most of the time. The best method appears to be to allow it to make extremely wide turns(which = slow? except not here?). It's a premise that, as implemented, I don't want to be good at, because it's not QWOP - it's not like it's presented as being miraculous that I can even finish the race.
The weapons just add more contradictions because they are largely unavoidable and unaimable, so it's like, what are they contributing, really?
I tested a the game but didn't seem to get the controls to work! I suck!
Technically excellent but a bit odd gameplay wise.
Slot car racing is actually very precise regarding acceleration/braking, not to mention the path the car is taking.
The in-game ships are much too floaty to feel in control and are not following any discernable predictable path - maybe having explicit tracks (with ability to take over) could be a better choice.
Good job anyway (the game is a marvel to watch though!).
Great game! Really well done.
I always find it astonishing what some folks can do with PICO8... this is awesome
I am very curious what tools/methods are used for the virtual controller on a mobile browser (safari)!!! 😃😃😃 I would love to develop something like that.
Really fun! The opening is sweet too, I know how hard it is to make a 3d rotating object with 2d sprites
At the start I didn't understand what was happening in every race then I realize that the ship controls it's own direction and I just was adding velocity.
To be honest this game has a lot of potential but it's a little bit frustrating after a while
Oh so thats how this works? I thought i was just trash at steering
I see a lot of potential in this, the art is great, the weapons are cool, the tracks are nice, there are just a couple of things:
1- the ship is really hard to control. Even with the ones with maxed out steering, you constantly get thrown off course, that makes you slow down and it gets frustrating after a while. I feel like there's a bit too much inertia, and the auto steering doesn't help;
2- It's not fully visible when you're able to attack again. There's a lot going on on screen, so whenever your attack is ready the ship should blink, or make a sound effect, or light up, so you know you can shoot without having to look at the UI.
Waiting for updates :)